Aligarh Muslim University
Aligarh Muslim University
Aligarh Muslim University (abbreviated as AMU) is a major central university in Aligarh, India, which was originally founded by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan in 1875 as Muhammadan Anglo-Oriental College. Mohammed Anglo-Oriental College was Aligarh Muslim University in 1920, following Aligarh Muslim University Act. It has three off-grounds focuses in Malappuram (Kerala), AMU Murshidabad Center (West Bengal), and Kishanganj Center (Bihar).
The college offers more than 300 courses in the customary and present-day parts of schooling and is an establishment of public significance proclaimed under its presentation under the Seventh Schedule of the Constitution of India.
The university has been ranked 801–1000 in the QS World University Rankings of 2018, and 18 in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework in 2017. Different clubs and social orders work under the aegis of the college and it has different outstanding academicians, artistic figures, lawmakers, legal scholars, attorneys, sportsperson, among others as its graduated class.
The university was established as Muhammad Anglo-Oriental College in 1875 by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, started functioning on 24 May 1875. Syed Ahmed Khan and the college-linked movement became known as the Aligarh Movement, which was pushed to realize. There is a need to establish a modern education system for the Indian Muslim population. He considered the skills required in English and Western sciences to maintain the political influence of Muslims. (Citation needed)Khan’s approach to the college was based on his visits to Oxford University and Cambridge University, and he wanted to establish an education system similar to the British. Sample.
A committee called the foundation of the Muslim College was formed and the people were asked to give generous funds. The then Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Thomas Barring, donated while 10,000, while the Lieutenant Governor of the Northwestern Province contributed 1,000, and by March 1874, funds for the college amounted to 9,53,20 more. 8 aasMaharao Raja as Mahadhar Singh Mahamadar Bahadur of Thi Patiala contributed ₹ 58,000, while Shambhu Narayan, the King of Benares, donated ₹ 60,000. The donation also came from the Maharaja of Vizianagaram. The school was at first partnered with the University of Calcutta for registration assessment, yet in 1885 got subsidiary to the University of Allahabad. The 7th Nizam of Hyderabad, HEH Mir Osman Ali Khan made a significant donation of Rs 5 lakhs to this institution in the year 1918.